Sunday, April 19, 2009

Restaurant Review: Enid's

560 Manhattan Ave
(between Driggs Ave & Nassau Ave)
Brooklyn, NY 11222
(718) 349-3859

Let me start out by saying that I RELISH their bloody Marys. No one concocts a tastier spicy Mary than this joint. What also dazzles my taste buds is the garnish sculpture of gerkins, capers, olives, and celery that accompany each cocktail....a combination that helps to keep the hunger pains and growling beast in my belly satiated until I feast. I have enjoyed brunch at Enid's on about 5 occasions, each time indulging in the leek potato hash, which has only disappointed me once. I have also shared the veggie biscuits and gravy, the quality of which is usually dependent on the quality of the biscuits--one time they were rock hard.

During the dinner hour, my veggie-friendly choices are fairly limited. It's either an assortment of side dishes, an option that just hurts my feelings, the Sweet Potato Quesadilla, or the Veggie Burger. I usually opt for the quesadilla, which, though an innovative option, is a bit bland. Picture mashed sweet potatoes slapped on a tortilla, topped with some cheddar cheese and thrown on the grill. It is a tasty combo for sure, but it just needs something else to kick it to the next level of tastiness. Wesley, my beloved carnivore, regularly indulges in the Chicken Fried Chicken, which, is the perfect cardio catastrophe. He also raves about their mashed potatoes and proclaims their gravy to be the best in the borough.

If you are looking for a restaurant at which to nibble on something pretty good, drink a glass of cheap, but decent quality organic cote du Rhone, chew the fat with your pals, and play some pinball, Enid's will offer supreme satisfaction. If, on the other hand, you crave something more than high quality bar food, seek out an alternative locale.

No comments:

Post a Comment